Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Seasons Greetings



Seasons Greetings!

What the heck does that mean? What is this phrase intended to inspire so much so that we put it up in lights? Hey, buddy, Seasons Greetings! And by that I mean, whatever the season, not that I care enough to stick my head out the window and check, I greet you in the name of that season. What's with that?

I say, use this 12 months out of the year! It works! What part of this communicates the message of love and salvation that is embodied in Christmas?

It's 104ยบ outside; I greet you in the name of the unholy heat of August! It's the middle of March and people are either gearing up for Saint Patrick's Day (either the beer-drinking kind or the "we're here, we're queer, let's hijack a parade!" kind) - and so I greet you in the name of that season.

If my Jewish friends said "Happy Hanukkah", I think that would be great! Hanukkah is a beautiful commemoration of the re dedication of the Holy Temple, recaptured by Judah the Maccabee in 164 BC. The Macabees were from the town of Modiin, a priestly family, that founded the Hasmonean dynasty that ruled from the re dedication of the Temple until Roman rule. According to the tradition, the oil used in the Temple re dedication ceremony was only supposed to last for one day, but instead lasted for eight days! The menorah that is part of the celebration of the festival of lights has nine candles. The center candle is the shamash and is used to light the other eight candles each night of the celebration. Hanukkah is a beautiful holiday celebrating the salvation of monotheism and as a Christian, something worthy of our respect.

Further, if a follower of Islam wished me "happy Ramadan" I would take that as a reminder of the devotion of millions of believers in that faith all over the world. Christians - and by "Christians" I mean "I" - could take a page from their faith and devotion. Ramadan is a month long season of fasting, whereby Muslims concentrate on their faith and spend less time on the concerns of their everyday lives. During Ramadan, no eating or drinking is allowed during daylight hours. During the entire month other things are forbidden too. At the end of each day the fast is broken with prayer and a meal called iftar. Following the meal, it is customary for Muslims to go out visiting family and friends. The following morning, the fast resumes.

Now I'm not advocating an "all roads lead to heaven" amalgamated theology, but rather there are some beautiful traditions that from which a casual, suburban Christian could learn and deepen their faith. I know I could.

Once you get into Kwanzaa, veneration of the Easter Bunny, or mother earth as represented by the moon and the stars, then we're into a different story. These things should be a further reminder of how we - and by "we" I mean "me"- as Christians have failed to carry God's message of selfless love to those who feel the God-shaped void in their life. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the right to make up holidays was part of the original Bill of Rights, but was removed due to the constitutional framers desire to be concise, while still covering most bases. Also, they were tired of writing. Can you envision Ben Franklin wagging his hand from a writer's cramp saying, "you know, Tom, I say let's cap this thing at ten - it's a nice, round number and it's good enough as it is. Don't you think?"

I agree. My hand hurts...

No comments: