Friday, November 12, 2010

What's your Excuse?


WHAT’S YOUR EXCUSE FOR NOT PURSUING YOUR JOB SEARCH FULLY RIGHT NOW?


The economy?
The holidays?
Multi-level marketing?
Temporary work?
Counting on something you're working on to come through?
Other little lies?

Historically, hiring slows down from mid-November until February. People get busy, budgets are tight, etc. This year looks to be different according to lots of people. Even if that were not the case, the holidays are a time when people connect – they go to Christmas parties, they go to office parties, etc. People gather during the holidays. You should take that as a reminder to wash your hands often and to get your resume out in lots of hands. You need to be networking NOW to get in front of people who will go to parties, talk about work with others and be able to say “I know someone who can help you solve that problem.” I don’t want to sound petulant, but I’m stomping my foot when I say you need to ramp up your networking activities now, now, NOW!

What else are you doing to delay your job search? Let me tell you a story about what I did. My first layoff was in October of 2007, just on the front edge of the economy, employment was still good then. I made lots of mistakes, but got hired from a posting I found online. It took me six months. Then, four months later I was let go again due to product limitations. So 10 months in, I’m again on the hunt and my confidence is shot. I took an opportunity to dive into a startup in September, 2008 which will forever be remembered for the financial collapse. After 8 months of broken promises of equity, low sales and virtually no income, I walked away. That startup effort was my excuse.

This week, the excuses I’ve heard for not job searching are multi-level marketing, the holidays and focus on temporary employment (a degreed professional working at a holiday skating rink.) If you want to pursue MLM, do it on the side, but don’t pretend you can beat the odds and make a career out of it. Get your feet on the ground first.

For that matter, please don’t take a commission only sales job that requires your full attention to distract you from getting something reliable. This is the voice of experience talking.

Could you hit a homerun with commission-only sales or MLM? Perhaps. The great majority of people do not and it ends up being another speed bump in their road to gainful employment.

No one I know spends 8 hours a day on their job search, even if they have the time to do it. My admonition for you today: Press hard now.

Even if you think "that company" will certainly call any day, you have to keep pressing. Meet new people, explore new possibilities, plan for the possibility that one great thing you're hoping for may not come through.

My sincere desire – and that of our volunteer team – is that you will find not just a job but THE job that God has for you.

Psalm 40:5 "Many, O Lord my God, are the wonders you have done. The things you planned for us no one can recount to you; were I to speak of them they would be too numerous to count."

I sincerely hope you are encouraged in your job search. I know of one man who came to OJT in October and was hired two days later (for a grand total of 8 days out of work!) Congratulations Steve H.

Also, several people who have been on the hunt for quite a while have been hired. Take Rod C. for example. Rod’s background is in supply chain (purchasing/procurement) and I take it as a good sign when guys like him and HR people start get back into the workforce. SO BE ENCOURAGED!! If you aren’t, know that I am optimistic FOR you based on what I am seeing.

Many of you have moved on, gotten hired or have already gotten what you need from OJT. That’s great! Please help us spread the word if you value this offering. I hope to see you at OJT this Tuesday night at 6:30pm at Asbury. Come in the NE side of the church (opposite Mingo). We meet in “The Family Room”.

No comments: