Tuesday, November 30, 2010

BHAD: Big Hairy Audacious Dare!

This message is written to those who participate in the job search ministries at FUMC in Tulsa, OK.

You have probably heard the term BHAG (Big, Hairy, Audacious Goal) which is an almost too-big-to-believe goal. So I have a BHAD for you - a big, hairy, audacious dare.

THE DARE: Document your job search activities for the next month and share with the entire group via a weekly email what you have been doing, who you have been talking to, who you want to talk to, posts you've seen, articles you've read, jobs you have applied for, jobs you considered and didn't apply for, who you have met, how you followed up, the lessons you learned, the changes you make to your resume: everything.

Why?

The same reason we want you to tell us your story and take advantage of the launch pad. If I know (and by "I" I mean all 400+ people on our distribution list) know what you are doing for your job search and you show you are really hitting it hard, that makes it much more likely that I (and by "I" I mean all 400+ people on our distribution list) will know what you are doing, be more engaged with your personal search and may take the time to reach out and help you with contacts, your message, etc. You will be creating agents TO HELP YOU! You might also just encourage others who are stuck, feeling down, or otherwise not doing all they can to find a job.

So, will you take the dare? (Or are you yella?)

Post a comment if you'll take me up on this!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

There is some truth to what you are saying. I fine myself falling to that rut, repeating the same tasks day after day. Pretty soon you can’t remember what you did yesterday or even last week. To help me stay on point, I fine it helpful to revisit the information provided to us when Bob gave his seminar on “Networking Yourself in Today’s Market”. By reviewing this information, I will find something that I am not doing or what I need to improve on. I’ll start publishing what I am doing; maybe someone will point me into the right direction so I can get out of this rut.

Yesterday, I was so down in the dumps, so I went to the Mall to visit Santa; I told him all I wanted for Christmas was a Job. He said me too! This wasn’t the answer I was looking for, but a little networking is never a bad thing, and I got a Lollipop.